CMC Logo.jpg
Emergency Rent & Utility  Assistance

The Carl Maxey Center has partnered with the City of Spokane to provide emergency rent & utility assistance to address the disproportionate hardships faced by African Americans and people of color due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The program is designed to assist residents of the City of Spokane who are behind on their rent or have past due utilities. The goal of the Carl Maxey Center's program is to prevent evictions! 


Due to the extremely high demand for rental assistance funds, the Carl Maxey Center is currently processing applications from our PRIORITY CATEGORIES and from tenants who are currently working with one of the EVICTION MEDIATION PROGRAMS listed below. Note: We MUST be contacted by the eviction mediation program in order to process a rental assistance application from a tenant who is not in one of our priority categories.



If you have received an eviction notice contact one of the legal resources below IMMEDIATELY.  Your application to this rental assistance program will NOT stop your eviction unless you are enrolled in one of the programs that these organizations offer.

Eviction Mediation Programs

Northwest Justice Project​
Apply for legal help through CLEAR*Online

Call 1-855-657-8387, the Eviction Defense Screening Line. Interpreters available.


Spokane Volunteer Lawyers Program - Eviction Defense Project
​Spokane Bar Association VLP​​, Housing Justice Project ​

(509) 477-2674

Northwest Mediation Center
Wendy Schatz, Eviction Resolution Specialist

(509) 456-0103 ext. 3

Fulcrum Institute Dispute Resolution Center
Natalie Connaughty, Eviction Resolution Specialist

(509) 838-2799






Washington Tenants Union - 206-723-0500

Eviction Defense Helper


Rental Assistance Program Eligibility Requirements

In order to participate in the rental assistance program you MUST meet ALL of the following criteria.

1. Your household income is at or below 80% of the Area Medium Income – Click Here for an Area Medium Income graph.

2. Your household currently has missed/past due rent that is not paid or partially unpaid after March 1, 2020. 

3. You are currently occupying the residence. (You live in the residence that you are requesting assistance for.)

4. Your household resides within the Spokane City limits Click Here for a map of Spokane neighborhoods.

Carl Maxey Center Priority Categories

The Carl Maxey Center has a limited amount of funds and we will NOT be able to provide assistance for everyone who applies and qualifies, as a result the following categories will be prioritized for CMC funding. This means that these are the applications that will be processed first. If there are remaining funds we will then process other qualified applications.


1) The Carl Maxey Center is prioritizing assistance to African American and other BIPOC households.


2) Individuals and families who are at risk of eviction and currently working with an eviction mediation program. We must receive a call from an eviction program representative!


Other priority categories include:


3) Income at or below 50% Area Median Income (AMI)  Click Here for an Area Medium Income graph.

4) One or more individuals has been unemployed for 90 days prior to application date

5) Applicant has a written late notice indicating that they are behind on rent at least 30 days or more 

6) Individuals and families who have not previously received assistance.

Rental & Utility Assistance Application

***NOTE: Due to the high volume of requests, expect it to take a MINIMUM of 4+ weeks before applications

can be processed and approved. Receipt of assistance payments may take an additional 2+ weeks.

You will be contacted by staff when we begin working on your application.


The Carl Maxey Center is processing applications as quickly as possible. So please be patient.***



Click link below for application:



You will be contacted by staff when we begin processing your application. 

For help with the application contact the Carl Maxey Center:

509-795-1886 or carlmaxeycenter@gmail.com

Leave a message or send an e-mail and we will get back to you as quickly as possible.

Other Options for Rental & Utility Assistance:

Live Stories  is offering rental and utility assistance to ALL Spokane residents

and households with children can visit Family Promise.

If you have received an eviction notice contact immediately: 

NW Mediation - (509) 456-0103

Volunteer Lawyers Program - (509) 477-2674

Fulcrum Institute - (509) 838-2799

If you have received a disconnect notice for your utilities, contact : SNAP at 456-SNAP.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the eligibility requirements?

Households who rent their home/apartment meet four criteria for City of Spokane ERAP assistance.

i. One or more individuals within the household are obligated to pay rent or have past due rent on a residence located in the City of Spokane.

ii. Total household income is equals or less than eighty percent (80%) of the area median income (AMI).

iii. Currently have a missed/past due rent payment not paid or partially unpaid since March 1, 2020, and

iv. Still occupying the residence.


What is the application process?

After submitting your application, it will move through the following five steps:

1. Application Review

2. Documentation Gathering

3. Eligibility Determination 

4. Landlord Verification

5. Payment Processing

How will I know if I meet the City of Spokane income eligibility requirements?

You meet the income eligibility requirements if your total household income is equal to or less than 80% of the area median income (AMI). Your AMI depends on how many people live in your household; see the table here.


Do I have to be a US citizen to apply for the City of Spokane Eviction Rent Assistance Program (ERAP) 2.0? Or age limit?

No. United States citizenship is NOT an eligibility requirement of this program.

You must be 18 Years or older to apply. Or you are legally emancipated if under 18 years of age.


How many months does Emergency Rental Assistance cover?

Households with missed or partially paid rent can receive rent and/or utility assistance from March 1, 2020.


Will the Emergency Rental Assistance be considered taxable income for households?

No. According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Emergency Rental Assistance is to help eligible households that require financial assistance to pay for rent, utilities, and other related expenses. Rental and utility payments ONLY count as gross income for your landlord or utility provider.


Once my Emergency Rental Assistance application is approved, how will I receive the payment?

ERAP payments will be made directly to landlords and service providers. The information provided in your application will be used to contact your landlord or utility provider(s). You will be notified when a payment is made. 


What utilities are covered?

They can include electricity, gas, water/sewer, trash removal, energy costs, such as fuel, oil, or wood for heating. The Internet is considered an utility for this program. Phone and TV bills are NOT included in the program.


What about costs other than rent and utilities?

ERAP 2.0 does not allow for "other housing costs"; however, it does consider the following unique situations eligible as a RA expense: Rental situations may include leased rental units, renting from friend/family, hotel/motel arrangements, mooring/slip fees, and RV/mobile home lot rent. There is no minimum term for the tenancy.


I receive a monthly federal subsidy (e.g., Housing Choice Voucher, Public Housing, Project-Based Section 8, USDA Rural Development). Am I still eligible to apply?

Yes. Households that receive a monthly federal subsidy are eligible to apply for assistance. However, assistance will only be provided for the amount not covered by other programs.

Is there a maximum amount of assistance per applicant covered by this program?

Yes, we can assist with maximum rent payment amount up to 150% Fair Market Rent (FMR) and must not be more than the total rent due amount.


What is FMR?

FMR is the Fair Market Rent of a rental unit in a designated area decided by the Department of Housing Urban Development. As defined in 24 CFR 888.113, Fair Market Rents are estimates of 40th percentile gross rents for standard quality units within a metropolitan area or nonmetropolitan county. The table below depicts the FMR for City of Spokane, Washington.

Final FY 2022 FMR By Unit Bedrooms


FY 2022 FMR$701$795$1,033$1,467$1,745

Additional Resources

Honoring a Legacy

Carl Maxey Photo.jpg

Carl Maxey, Attorney

Carl Maxey had a successful law firm and devoted a fair portion of his time to pro-bono work. As an activist and lawyer Carl Maxey fought to end housing discrimination by holding landlords accountable to the agreements they made and earning families monetary damages in housing cases.            ~ Carl Maxey A Fighting Life